Upgrading from PhreeBooks Release 2.1 and Lower
*** NOTE: All Add-on modules will need to be redesigned for Phreedom. If you are using an add-on
module and a Phreedom version is not available, you will lose functionality of the features until
an updated module is installed.
Phreedom is structurally very different from PhreeBooks Release 2.1 or lower. Automatic
upgrade scripts have been provided to perform the upgrade upon first login. Please follow
the instructions below:
If your PhreeBooks install has not been customized, perform steps 1-5:
1. BACKUP YOUR DATABASE AND ALL FILES from the original install. All you will need to upgrade
is one file (/includes/configure.php), one directory (/my_files/company_name) per company
and your database (one per company).
2. Remove all files and directories from your PhreeBooks install directory EXCEPT:
a. KEEP: The directory /includes containing only the file: configure.php. This contains the
configuration information to access the site and a few other default settings.
b. KEEP: The directory /my_files but can delete the subdirectories /custom and /reports. The
customization files have been moved to each corresponding module. The reports directory
has been distributed to each module and language which best fits the individual report.
The company information is also in the my_files directory and should remain intact.
3. Unzip and copy the source files for the Phreedom release and copy to your webserver. Since this is
an upgrade, the /install directory should be removed or renamed.
4. Navigate to you home page (the same as with PhreeBooks) and the login screen should appear.
5. Log in using your existing uername and password. The upgrade should happen automatically upon
logon. Note, it may take a while as several database updates are taking place. An upgrade
(individual logon) is required for each company that is installed in a multi-company environment.
/****/ IF YOU HAVE CUSTOMIZED PHREEBOOKS SOURCE CODE OR HAVE ADDONS – READ ON /****/
Phreedom has moved the customization location from a single directory in the my_files directory
to the subdirectories of each module (/modules/module_name/custom). The hooks from the core
files now point to this location. Add-on modules have been relocated to the /modules directory.
6. Add-on Modules – All add-on modules (including shipping and payment modules) have been
re-desigend and moved to the /modules directory along side the core modules. New add-on modules
designed and prelease by PhreeSoft are (or will be) available on the PhreeSoft website. Modules
designed by other contributors will need to be updated by the respective contributor. Module
structure and design guideline information is available on the hreeSoft website in the Docs
7. Custom Hooks – Most of the custom hooks have been moved from the /my_files/custom/module_name/
directory to the /modules/module_name/custom/ directory. The intent is to keep all related files
with their associated modules and all modules in the same directory. Hooks for pages are located
in the /my_files/module_name/custom/pages/page_name/ directory.
8. Core modifications – Refer the the documentation on the PhreeSoft website regarding the new
structure. Phreedom has tried to standardize the coding and structure of the modules.
Additional support is
available on the Phreedom forum at www.PhreeSoft.com.
Upgrading Phreedom R3.0 and above