1. Go to Company -> Module Administration -> Contacts (Properties Icon)
2. Click on Custom Tabs tab.
3. Click the New icon on the secondary toolbar.
4. Enter a tab name and description, click Save.
5. Click on Custom Fields tab.
6. Click on the New icon on the secondary toolbar.
7. Enter a field name (database friendly a-z,A-Z, and _ work well) and the rest of the information of the new field. For most things you will want them to be a text field, press Save.
8. Your new tab and fields should show up under the appropriate Contacts detail page.
To get them o n a report, you will need to edit (or create) an existing report and select the Fields tab. Your new field should show up on the pull down to select the field.
Am I missing something? I added a custom field to my inventory but somehow I cannot seem to pull it down in my invoice report. I wanted to add a custom "unit" field then use it in my invoice.
Is it as simple as that or do I need to modify other things?
edit: I tried what Dave said and the field is present in my report. however it is when you use one table only. what if I need to use journal_main, journal_item, and inventory tables? do I need to JOIN them? I tried joining them but there is an error.