How can we help?
Protecting Your Business Data
Phreesoft takes data security and privacy very seriously. PhreeSoft provides the latest protections from internet hackers trolling the web looking for anything useful and creating havoc. Our cloud is a multi-server distributed architecture that makes it much more complicated to penetrate. All of our servers contain RAID protected hard drives remote from the web servers.
PhreeBooks 5 and other hosted methods (like Bizuno for WordPress) should have protections in place to properly protect and secure your data while using the application.
How PhreeSoft Hosting Protects/Archives Your Data
While your business data is protected against attackers and hardware failures, PhreeSoft DOES NOT store historic versions of your data files or database tables. Instead, you must establish procedures to archive and retain historical information, preferably on your local machines. It is, therefore, a good business practice to regularly backup, download and archive your business data. This is for you own protection and an all around good idea. As of this writing, Bizuno database files are the same across all platforms, i.e. backups from PhreeBooks 5 can be restored to a PhreeSoft hosted account, and visa-versa.
Establishing Good Backup Practices
PhreeSoft recommends the following schedule for creating backups of your business data. A backup consists of two parts, database files and data files. In most cases you should have the ability to recover lost data files as they come from your sources anyway. Including data files in your backup will slow down the process and create large archive files that in most cases will already be duplicate information.
Prior to a major data operation such as adding a new fiscal year, bulk re-posting journal entries, closing fiscal years, using tools to test repair or purge old records, etc. Just in case something goes wrong you can restore to your previous state.
- Backup, download and archive the audit log. In case of a catastrophic event, you can re-enter the day’s activities and get back to the last good state quickly. Retain one weeks backups in your allocated Bizuno data space.
Weekly (best at week’s end):
- Business database backup, download and archive to a local secure destination. Also retain this backup in your Bizuno data space.
- Business data files (optional). Depending on what you upload to the PhreeSoft servers, this may not be necessary as you should already have backup copies of the files on your local servers.
- At fiscal year end, database backup with year end information for permanent archive.
Best Practices on Archiving Your Data
How and how long to retain your archived data depends on your business policies and in many cases, governmental regulations. Below is a general guideline on how and where to retain you archived business data.
Bizuno cloud data space
- Database backup – Retain the last 4 weeks worth of backups in the cloud.
- Audit Log Backup – Retain backups from all operational days since your last database backup.
- Data file Backups – Do not retain any copies in your data space, backup, download and delete from the backup folder.
- Periodic events such as Shipping Logs, Fiscal Year closing – Do not retain any copies in your cloud space. Once the download has been verified, these log files can be deleted.
Your local archive devices
- Database backups
- Weekly backups for the last 4 weeks, retain the last end of month as monthly backup.
- Monthly backups for 12 months, retain the last fiscal year monthly backup if a separate backup was not made at end of fiscal year. This will become your annual backup typically for governmental regulation purposes.
- Annual backups should be retained indefinitely or may be deleted if no longer required by your local governmental regulation for business reporting purposes.