PhreeSoft Forums PhreeBooks Roadmap Wishlist and Feature Request Wiki oh Wiki, where art thou Wiki?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lankeeyankee 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Charles
    Participant

I now know that there is a Phreedom Wiki. IMHO it is currently the invisible wiki. It needs to be made VERY visible.

viewtopic.php?p=12194#p12194

Can we have it top of the page – every page – a big WIKI button please.

BTW it is currently here:
    http://www.phreesoft.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

alvin
    Participant

Cats out of the bag now ๐Ÿ˜†

Charles
    Participant

You know what I’m going to ask now, don’t you …

Where has it gone? ๐Ÿ˜€
    Charles

ps – I have decided to include some helpful directions to new visitors in my ‘Signature’ space at the bottom of each page as I reckon that visitors aren’t finding these two critical areas of the PB Forum.

Dave
    Keymaster

The wiki was getting spammed HEAVILY to the point that my ISP threatened to shut down the site! (my db backup was over 12GB) I have removed the wiki from the new site and am looking for a better way to allow for user contribution without the heavy maintenance of cleaning out the spam.

I welcome any ideas. Remember that this is an open source project and all time is volunteered. The solution must have adequate anti-spam measures in place to keep the maintenance down.

I would be willing (and probably Alvin also) to accept write-ups from users and augment the website support pages, help files, and HowTos.

Dave

Charles
    Participant

Dave

Thanks for the very quick response.

I totally appreciate what you are saying and I am aware that the previous Wiki was spammed to destruction also. However, there MUST be a solution – after all, other web forums operate Wiki’s, don’t they.

Might I be so bold to suggest an interim Wiki plan. Can’t we have a temporary READ ONLY Wiki whilst a better solution is found. I know that this might seem to defeat the main objective of a Wiki, however, having a Read-Only Wiki is vastly better than not having one at all.

Why couldn’t Forum members submit their Wiki articles / ideas / thoughts on the Forum … actually, I think that Alvin was doing just this, wasn’t he. Copying relevant stuff over onto the old Wiki.

Perhaps something like this:
    http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Linux_accounting#phreebooks

Once again, thank you for an excellent bit of software.
    Charles

Dave
    Keymaster

That might be doable. I would like to build the website and help manual and forum submissions or direct submissions would leave the placement of the content up to the admins to place it in the website or help files.

Dave

lankeeyankee
    Participant

I’m willing to help with this if it is something like the moderation that I am currently doing. I would like to help, I just don’t have enough experience with the software yet to really add anything. But I can definitely help review submissions, approve them and put them in the right place.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.